CodCon 11 is in the books! The title was taken by our very own Grand Weasel Prime, Jim O’Kelley. Despite the many laurels he’s accumulated over the years, Jim had never won a tournament in Chicago. He took CodCon 11 in style, soloing as Turkey in the third round. It was the seventh solo in tournament history, the third for Turkey.
Finishing in second place was last year’s champion, Jake Trotta, while third place was taken by Bryan Pravel, the clubhouse leader at the end of the first day.
In addition to the win, place, and show trophies, some players earned awards for their distinctive play:
|Best stab:||Bryan Pravel (Round 1, Board 3), for breaking up a successful RT and riding that to a 13-8 board top.
Honorable Mention: Jake Trotta (Round 2, Board 1), for stabbing two allies simultaneously and getting away with it.
|Icarus:||Jake Trotta (Round 1, Board 1), for reaching 8 centers by the end of 1903 and still being eliminated.|
|Fishiest Move:||Jim O’Kelley (Round 2, Board 2), for asking the TD five times during a single negotiation period if his increasingly poorly written “Ven-Tyl” would be interpreted as “Ven-Tri”.|
|Cariest Bear:||Kevin O’Kelly (Round 3, Board 1), for sticking with his ally, Jim O’Kelley, even after being dotted repeatedly, until his ally soloed.
Honorable Mention: Christian Kline (Round 3, Board 1), for throwing a solo even though no one attacked him.
The best country awards went to the following:
|Austria:||John Gramila (R1 B1), 30.402 points.|
|England:||David Hafner (R1 B1), 49.246 points, and Don Glass (R3 B2), 48.79 points.|
|France:||Brian Shelden (R1 B3), 12.245 points.|
|Germany:||Matt Sundstrom (R2 B2), 28.929 points.|
|Italy:||Brad Harrington (R1 B1), 20.352 points.|
|Russia:||Bryan Pravel (R1 B3), 57.483 points.|
|Turkey:||Jim O’Kelley (R3 B1) 100.000 points.|
Results, board pictures, and after-action reports for each game can be found here:
Round 1, Board 2
Round 1, Board 3
Many interesting things were said at CodCon 11. These were the most memorable:
- “You offered me 2 dots. I think I want at least 1.” (David Hafner to Jake Trotta, R1)
- “Which one is Bryan Pravel?” “He’s the one who looks like he spends a lot of time on his hair.” (Grant Smith, Jake Trotta, R2)
- “I want to do crazy shit.” (John Gramila, R2)
- “If I help Jim this entire game, it’ll because someone screwed up.” (Jake Trotta, R3)
- “Knowing what we know now, we probably should have done something else in 01.” (Kevin O’Kelly, R3)
- “I’m only friends with friends.” (Brian Shelden, R3)
- “Both of these dumb nerds need you to be benevolent to them.” (John Gramila to Jim O’Kelley, R3)
- “I have told the truth to Jim every single turn. Jim has not told the truth to me every single turn.” (Kevin O’Kelly, R3)
- “You should nobly stop at 17 like Tom Haver would do.” (Kevin O’Kelly to Jim O’Kelley, R3)
- “I don’t want to hear, ‘I’m disgusted.’ I want to hear, ‘I’m sorry’.” (Chad Carson to Christian Kline, R3)
- “Jesus, I would kill to have Jim’s charm on the board.” (Siobhan Nolen, R3, from California)
Here are the full results for the tournament: