We played three games of Diplomacy in nine days, and that’s not even the big news this week. The big news, of course, is…
The Countdown is in Single Digits!
Folks, the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X is next week. The fun will kick off with the Welcome Party Thursday night. We’re still hammering out the details, but the party definitely will be from 8 to 10 p.m. in the South Loop. Afterward, there will be a trail of tears to karaoke (and more tears).
The tournament starts bright and early on Friday. Board call will be at 9:45 a.m. There will be two rounds on Friday (9:45 a.m. and 6 p.m.), two on Saturday (9:45 a.m. and 6 p.m.), and one on Sunday (8:45 a.m.). The best three of five rounds will count for score. The best three of four rounds will determine the seven players who will compete for the title of world champion on Sunday.
As of right now, the guest list for this event is at 95, and it still doesn’t include a few Weasel luminaries. We have a decent shot at cracking 100, which would make this the largest WDC since Berlin in 2006.
If you have not yet responded, you have until June 20 to do so. The event will take place in Roosevelt University’s vertical campus, 425 S Wabash. Roosevelt has a strict guest policy. I need to turn in our guest list on the 21st. Getting you into the venue after that point will cause headaches for both of us.
I hope you’ll join us. It’s going to be a great event.
Oh, Yah. League Play.
We had two games last week. Brandon Fogel racked up his fourth straight board-top on Red Wednesday at the Red Lion; then Bryan Pravel topped the longest game of Season 11. Check out the game summaries and after-action reports.
Dues Still Due
Your 2016 dues are now due! Once again, we’re charging $25 for members and $10 for students. Dues will get you $10 off the registration fee for the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X, plus eligibility for our season-ending awards and the Weasel Royale. And you’ll also help us maintain the website and keep our Meetup page.
You can PayPal your dues to email@example.com. For your convenience, just use the button on this page. Thank you to the 26 Weasels who have paid up thus far, including Brian Beck. Thanks, Brian!
- July 13 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have six.
Sign up for games here, on Meetup, or by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- June 24-26: World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X!
Up Next on the Grand Prix Circuit
- World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X: June 24-26, right here in Chicago! (http://windycityweasels.org/wdc2016)
- Database. We still are looking for someone who can convert Matt Sundstrom’s rating system to a searchable, web-based database. Please email us at email@example.com if you can help or have questions. (Ben DiPaola has nibbled on this one…)
- Airport Runs. If you’re available to make airport runs on June 23 or June 26, send me an email.
That’s all for this week. See you soon!