Here’s the latest news from the Weasels.
Three Weeks to First Stab!
WDC will be here in three weeks, and as we long suspected, it’s going to be huge. We’re currently working on our 13th board. The 88 players who have signed up so far include:
- 61 out-of-town players, including one who will have attended all 10 Weasel Moots.
- 27 locals.
- 9 from overseas, and five of them from Australia and New Zealand.
- 6 from Canada.
- 41 who have preregistered, saving $10 on the tournament fee.
- 7 former world champions, including the reigning champ.
- 11 former North American champions, including the reigning champ.
- 8 former Grand Prix champions (including the reigning champ?).
- 7 guys named Chris or Christian.
- 4 members of the Milwaukee Mafia.
- 3 sets of brothers, none of them named Woodring.
- 3 sets of fathers and sons.
- 2 mystery guests.
It’s going to be epic! The dates are June 24-26, and it will be right downtown at Roosevelt University’s vertical campus, 425 South Wabash Avenue. Please let me know if you plan to attend. The school has a pretty strict guest policy, so we need to get you on our master list.
And watch the website for details on our welcome party for the out-of-towners, which will be June 23. We expect to have more information on that for the next issue of the Weekly Weasel.
Deuces Are Wild
We need two more players for each of our upcoming games.
This Saturday, we’re holding a rare afternoon bar game at the Red Lion. The game is billed as a primer for WDC, and veteran Matt Sundstrom will hold a Q&A for the players. The game will use the drop-dead timing and tournament rule set that we’ll be using at WDC. The fun starts at 2 p.m., and there is no hard stop. The Q&A will go on even if we fall short of a board, but let’s try to make the game happen. Who’s in? Christian Kline? John Gramila? Mike Morrison? Anyone?
We’re close to two boards for our regular Red Wednesday at the Red Lion on June 8. We just need two more. Who wants to play? The game starts at 6:30 and will end no later than 11.
Finally, Pete McNamara will host the last house game before WDC at his home in Evanston on June 12. We need two more for that one, too. Anyone want to play? The game will start at 11 and end no later than 7.
Check out the game openings!
Dues Still Due
Your 2016 dues are now due! Once again, we’re charging $25 for members and $10 for students. Dues will get you $10 off the registration fee for the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X in June, plus eligibility for our season-ending awards and the Weasel Royale. And you’ll also help us maintain the website and keep our Meetup page.
You can PayPal your dues to firstname.lastname@example.org. For your convenience, just use the button on this page. Thank you to the 25 Weasels who have paid up thus far, including Jake Trotta. Thanks, Jake! Check the link below for the complete list of dues-paying Weasels.
- June 4 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 2 p.m. A rare Saturday bar game. Have five.
- June 8 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have 12. Can we fill a second board?
- June 12 at Pete McNamara’s home in Evanston, beginning at 11 a.m. until no later than 7 p.m. Have five for the last house game before WDC.
- June 24-26: World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X!
Up Next on the Grand Prix Circuit
- World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X: June 24-26, right here in Chicago! (http://windycityweasels.org/wdc2016)
- Database. We still are looking for someone who can convert Matt Sundstrom’s rating system to a searchable, web-based database. Please email us at email@example.com if you can help or have questions. (Ben DiPaola has nibbled on this one…)
- Airport Runs. If you’re available to make airport runs on June 23 or June 26, send me an email.
That’s all for this week. See you soon!