Here’s the latest news from the Weasels.
11 Boards and Counting
One month from today, we’ll be gathering at a yet-to-be-determined spot in the Loop to welcome our out-of-town guests to the 2016 World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X. The tournament committee hopes to wrap up the details for the welcome party on June 23 in two or three weeks. In the meantime, 79 people–26 locals, 53 from out of town–have told us that they plan to attend the tournament.
Remember, if you’re not on the list but plan to attend, let us know. The tournament will be held in Roosevelt University’s vertical campus at 425 South Wabash Avenue. The school has a pretty strict guest policy, so we need to get you on our master list.
Back in 2012, the final attendee list tallied 85, of which 81 attended and 80 played. Twenty-nine of the 81 were locals.
As noted, we still have 30 days. The guest list will continue to grow, with both locals and travelers. This year’s event almost certainly will be larger than the one we held in 2012. Buckle up.
Tune-ups Are Free
So far this season, we’ve had 48 people play in our 21 games, but a handful of guys have done the heaviest lifting. If you’re feeling rusty and in need of a tune-up before WDC, we’ve got you covered. We’ve filled a nine-day stretch in early June with three opportunities to play Dip.
We’ll kick things off on June 4 with a rare Saturday bar game at the Red Lion. The game will use the drop-dead timing and tournament rule set that we’ll be using at WDC. (The rules are up, by the way; follow the link from the WDC2016 web page.) Matt Sundstrom will host and will hold a Q&A about WDC. The fun starts at 2 p.m., and there is no hard stop. (Another rarity for a bar game.)
Then on June 8, we’ll be back at the Red Lion for our regular Red Wednesday. A couple of the recent Red Wednesday tilts have been excellent training for the tight play you’d see on a top board. Once again, we’re close to filling a second board. Come on out and join us.
Finally, Pete McNamara will host the last house game before WDC at his home in Evanston on June 12. We have five for that one; who else wants to play?
Check out the game openings!
Dues Still Due
Your 2016 dues are now due! Once again, we’re charging $25 for members and $10 for students. Dues will get you $10 off the registration fee for the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X in June, plus eligibility for our season-ending awards and the Weasel Royale. And you’ll also help us maintain the website and keep our Meetup page.
- June 4 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 2 p.m. A rare Saturday bar game. Have five.
- June 8 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have 11. Can we fill a second board?
- June 12 at Pete McNamara’s home in Evanston, beginning at 11 a.m. until no later than 7 p.m. Have five for what likely will be the last house game before WDC.
- June 24-26: World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X!
Up Next on the Grand Prix Circuit
- DixieCon: May 27-29 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. (http://dixiecon.com/)
- Database. We still are looking for someone who can convert Matt Sundstrom’s rating system to a searchable, web-based database. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help or have questions. (Ben DiPaola has nibbled on this one…)
- Airport Runs. If you’re interested and available to make airport runs on June 23 or June 26, send me an email.
That’s all for this week. See you soon!