After a brief, work-induced hiatus, we’re back with the latest news from the Weasels.
10th Open Goes to Trotta
We had a great warm-up for June’s WDC a couple of weekends ago at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn. Our 10th CODCon Open was the largest, in terms of participants and boards, since the very first one in 2007. A total of 27 players competed on nine boards over the three rounds.
The title went to relative newcomer Jake Trotta, a quick study who played the game for the very first time last July. He posted a large board-top in round 1, packaged it with a close third in round 2, and then held on as a hard-charging Christian Kline fell short in the final round.
For the complete results and recaps from Jake, check out the tournament report.
Our old friend Nate Cockerill has partnered with Eric Grinnell to host this weekend’s Diplomacy tournament at Lexicon in Lexington, Kentucky. It’s been six years since there’s been a tournament on the Grand Prix circuit within a reasonable drive of Chicago. Lexington is just about six hours away.
Matt Sundstrom is thinking about attending, and Grinnell says he’ll help cover hotel rooms for any Weasel who goes. If you’d like more info, reach out to Nate or Eric on Facebook. Let me know if you need help contacting them.
The World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X tips off in 64 days. The event will be June 24-26 in Roosevelt University’s vertical campus, 425 S Wabash in Chicago.
The work thing that kept me so busy last week culminated in an event at Roosevelt University on Saturday. We were in two locations there, including the room we’ll be using in June. We were very happy with the staff at Roosevelt, the location, and the venue, so I’m now feeling better than ever about our choice for WDC.
So far, 22 players have taken advantage of the preregistration discount, and 25 have booked rooms at Roosevelt. A total of 61 people have said they’re coming. I expect all these numbers to climb as we get closer to the date.
Dues Still Due
Your 2016 dues are now due! Once again, we’re charging $25 for members and $10 for students. Dues will get you $10 off the registration fee for the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X in June, plus eligibility for our season-ending awards and the Weasel Royale. And you’ll also help us maintain the website and keep our Meetup page.
You can PayPal your dues to firstname.lastname@example.org. For your convenience, just use the button on this page. Thank you to the 23 Weasels who have paid up thus far, including Christian Kline, John Gramila, Matt Sundstrom, Mike Morrison, Peter Lokken and Pete McNamara.
- April 27 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have seven. Want to go for two?
- May 11 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have five.
- June 24-26: World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X!
Up Next on the Tournament Circuit
- LexiCon: April 22-24 in Lexington, Kentucky. (Not sure of website.)
- DixieCon: May 27-29 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. (http://dixiecon.com/)
- Database. We still are looking for someone who can convert Matt Sundstrom’s rating system to a searchable, web-based database. Please email us at email@example.com if you can help or have questions. (Ben DiPaola has nibbled on this one…)
- Tournament Committee. Want to help us put on WDC? Send me an email.
That’s all for this week. See you soon!