Happy CODCon week! Read on for the latest news from the Weasels.
Time Flies When You’re Stabbing Backs
It seems like just yesterday that I was staring at the Diplomacy Tournament Manager on my laptop, wondering which two players to drop, when five kids from Milwaukee appeared, seemingly out of thin air, to give us three boards. The sudden, unexpected appearance of Grant Smith and the Milwaukee Mafia turned that first CODCon Open into a great event.
Later that evening, we were surprised a second time when Matt Shields sauntered in. I don’t remember what he was doing in Illinois (he lives in Porland, Ore.), but he made a special side trip to offer support to our fledgling club and its first-ever tournament.
It’s hard to believe that was nine years ago. This weekend’s Open will be our 10th. Once again, we’ll be in the Student Resource Center (425 Fawell Blvd) at the College of DuPage for the Sci-Fi club’s annual CODCon game convention. We’re expecting a pretty good crowd for Diplomacy. Check out the attendee list. It’s at 22 and growing.
It’s not too late to add your name. Send me an email. You’ll enjoy the Diplomacy and love the people watching. And you truly never do know who might show up.
Dues Still Due
Your 2016 dues are now due! Once again, we’re charging $25 for members and $10 for students. Dues will get you a combined $15 off our two tournaments–CODCon this weekend ($5) and the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X in June ($10)–plus eligibility for our season-ending awards and the Weasel Royale. And you’ll also help us maintain the website and keep our Meetup page.
- April 27 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have three.
- April 9-10: 10th Annual CODCon Open!
- June 24-26: World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X!
Up Next on the Tournament Circuit
- CODCon: April 9-10 in Glen Ellyn. (http://windycityweasels.org/codcon10)
- Database. We still are looking for someone who can convert Matt Sundstrom’s rating system to a searchable, web-based database. Please email us at email@example.com if you can help or have questions. (Ben DiPaola has nibbled on this one…)
- Tournament Committee. Want to help us put on WDC? Send me an email.
That’s all for this week. See you soon!