The Art of Four-Way
On Saturday at Josh Heffernan’s home in Logan Square, special guests Chris Martin and Ted McClelland helped us wrap up our busiest month for league play since March 2014 when we also played five games.
Both of Saturday’s games ended by draw vote in Spring 1907 in four-way draws, bucking the recent trend. Since September 2012, only 10 of 101 league games have ended in four-ways. That’s probably due to a combination of the Sum of Squares scoring system and shorter games, which doesn’t explain Saturday’s outcomes.
Check out the game summaries to see how they went down. The article features a bunch of comments from the players. That’s another thing that’s picked up recently. Players have started to comment on games again.
We currently have eight for next week’s Red Wednesday at the Red Lion, including another special guest. Hobby legend Jim-Bob Burgess will join us for Dip at the Red Lion on March 9 beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Jim, a longtime player, postal zine publisher and tournament organizer, will be in town on business. We last saw him at the WDC in 2012.
Can we fill a second board?
Our 10th annual CODCon Open is less than six weeks out, and the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X is right on its heels. Have you started negotiating your weekend passes? Take it from me: Waiting until the eve of the tournament and then trying to stab your loved one is a terrible idea.
CODCon will be April 9-10 at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn. WDC will be June 24-26 at Roosevelt University’s vertical campus, 425 S. Wabash. Hope to see you at both events!
Dues Still Due
Your 2016 dues are now due! Once again, we’re charging $25 for members and $10 for students. Dues will get you a combined $15 off our two tournaments–CODCon in April ($5) and the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X in June ($10)–plus eligibility for our season-ending awards and the Weasel Royale. And you’ll also help us maintain the website and keep our Meetup page.
You can PayPal your dues to email@example.com. For your convenience, just use the button on this page. Thank you to the 15 Weasels who have paid up thus far, including Nathaniel Olson from distant Indonesia! (What’s your excuse?)
- March 9 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have eight, one of whom is Jim Burgess, a longtime player and postal zine publisher from Rhode Island.
- April 9-10: 10th Annual CODCon Open!
- June 24-26: World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X!
Up Next on the Tournament Circuit
- CODCon: April 9-10 in Glen Ellyn. (http://windycityweasels.org/codcon10)
- Database. We still are looking for someone who can convert Matt’s rating system to a searchable, web-based database. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help or have questions. (Ben DiPaola has nibbled on this one…)
- Tournament Committee. Want to help us put on WDC? Send me an email.
That’s all for this week. See you soon.