Read on for the latest news from the Weasels.
A Photo Finish
We only managed one board at the Red Lion last week, but what a game it was. The outcome wasn’t settled until the very last order on the very last turn. Read all about the exciting finish in the game summary and the whopping 18 comments that follow. It’s been quite some time since we’ve played a game that’s generated so much discussion. Check it out. (The chatter also inspired a couple of players to revisit the games at Peter Lokken’s home a couple of weeks ago.)
The Brawl Thickens
The result last Wednesday shook up the leader board in the Bar Room Brawl series. So far, 30 people have played in the seven games in the series.
A Second Board in the Square
We have 12 players signed up for Josh Heffernan’s game in Logan Square this Saturday (including hobby legend Chris Martin). We can force two boards with that count, but we’d much rather have a clean 14. Anyone want to play? The games will start at 11 a.m., and if it will make a difference for you, we can wrap up the second board no later than 5 p.m. (The first will be a proper open-ended game.)
Red Wednesday with Jim-Bob
Hobby legend Jim-Bob Burgess will join us at our next Red Wednesday at the Red Lion, March 9 beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Jim, a longtime player, postal zine publisher and tournament organizer, will be in town on business. We last saw him at the WDC in 2012.
We have eight signed up. Plenty of time to turn this into another two-board night at the Lion. Who’s in?
Exactly four months from today, we’ll be well into our welcome party for the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X. The tournament will be June 24-26 at Roosevelt University’s vertical campus, 425 S. Wabash. But before we get around to crowning the world champion, there’s the little matter of crowning our CODCon champion. Our 10th annual CODCon Open Diplomacy tournament will be April 9-10 at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn.
Both events will be here before you know it. Start negotiating your weekend passes!
Dues Still Due
Your 2016 dues are now due! Once again, we’re charging $25 for members and $10 for students. Dues will get you a combined $15 off our two tournaments–CODCon in April ($5) and the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X in June ($10)–plus eligibility for our season-ending awards and the Weasel Royale. And you’ll also help us maintain the website and keep our Meetup page.
- February 27 at Josh Heffernan’s home in Logan Square, beginning at 11 a.m. Have 12. Two more for a clean second board!
- March 9 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have eight, one of whom is Jim Burgess, a longtime player and postal zine publisher from Rhode Island.
- April 9-10: 10th Annual CODCon Open!
- June 24-26: World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X!
Up Next on the Tournament Circuit
- CODCon: April 9-10 in Glen Ellyn. (http://windycityweasels.org/codcon10)
- Database. We still are looking for someone who can convert Matt’s rating system to a searchable, web-based database. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help or have questions. (Ben DiPaola has nibbled on this one…)
- Tournament Committee. Want to help us put on WDC? Send me an email, email@example.com.
That’s all for this week. See you soon.