Boards Go Marching Two by Two
We drew 13 players for last week’s short-notice house game at Peter Lokken’s home in Logan Square. David Spanos pulled double duty — no easy feat given that one board was in Peter’s condo and the other was in the vacant garden apartment that he recently renovated, requiring David to run outside to switch between games. Add to that the fact that it was David’s first time playing on two boards and, well, he had a rough night. But it was another great night for the Weasels.
We’re doing it again tomorrow night at the Red Lion. We currently have 10 signed up. Can we draw two to four more to field a second board. Fourteen is best, of course, but we can make two boards work with 13 or even 12. And this time, it will be a short, cozy walk between games. Speak up soon if you want to join us. Red Wednesday is tomorrow. Games start at 6:30 and will wrap up no later than 11.
We’re also trying to stretch Josh Heffernan’s Logan Square game on February 27 into a double. We currently have eight signed up. Anyone else?
Red Lion, White Beard
Hobby legend Jim-Bob Burgess will be playing with us at March’s Red Wednesday at the Red Lion, March 9 beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Jim, a longtime player, postal zine publisher, and organizer for TotalCon this weekend in Massachusetts, will be in town on business. We last saw Jim at the WDC in 2012.
We have eight signed up. Plenty of time to turn this into another two-board night at the Lion.
We’re coming up on our busiest time of year. CODCon is April 9-10 at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn. Then we’re hosting the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X, June 24-26 at Roosevelt University’s vertical campus, 425 S. Wabash.
Both events will be here before you know it, so now is the time to start negotiating your weekend passes!
Dues Still Due
Your 2016 dues are now due! Once again, we’re charging $25 for members and $10 for students. Dues will get you a combined $15 off our two tournaments–CODCon in April ($5) and the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X in June ($10)–plus eligibility for our season-ending awards and the Weasel Royale. And you’ll also help us maintain the website and keep our Meetup page.
You can PayPal your dues to firstname.lastname@example.org. For your convenience, just use the button on this page. And please pay up soon. We depleted our treasury when we paid the first installment on the meeting space for WDC, and we have some bills to pay…
Thank you to the 13 Weasels who have paid up thus far. Check the link below for the complete list of dues-paying Weasels.
- February 17 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have 10. Can we reach two boards?
- February 27 at Josh Heffernan’s home in Logan Square, beginning at 11 a.m. Have eight. Can we reach two boards?
- March 9 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have eight, one of whom is Jim Burgess, a longtime player and postal zine publisher from Rhode Island. Can we reach two boards? Do I sound like a broken record?
- April 9-10: 10th Annual CODCon Open!
- June 24-26: World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X!
Up Next on the Tournament Circuit
- TotalCon: February 18-21 in Mansfield, Mass. (http://www.totalcon.com/)
- CODCon: April 9-10 in Glen Ellyn. (http://windycityweasels.org/codcon10)
- Database. We still are looking for someone who can convert Matt’s rating system to a searchable, web-based database. Please email us at email@example.com if you can help or have questions. (Ben DiPaola has nibbled on this one…)
- Tournament Committee. Want to help us put on WDC? Send me an email.
That’s all for this week. See you soon.