Read on for the latest news from the Weasels.
We were impressed when John Gramila’s January 30 game filled in 10 days. Then we were surprised when Josh Heffernan’s game scheduled for February 27 filled in a day. So when Peter Lokken’s game filled in six hours–yes, six hours–we were flat-out flabbergasted.
In fact, there is so much interest in Peter’s game–we have three standby players–that we’re talking about taking a run at two boards. That’s for a game this Wednesday that we just announced on Saturday. A house game, not a bar game.
Take a look at the lineup, and let us know if you’d like to join the fun. Time is short, so don’t dally. If you’d like to play, speak up soon while we still have all these extra players on the hook.
Obviously, people want to play house games. We can still use hosts for March, so if you’d like to host on a Saturday or Sunday in March, please let me know.
Deuces Are Wild
We’d like to make a run at two boards for Wednesday’s night Hump Day House Game. We have 10 so far with a couple of other decent prospects. If you’d like to play, please speak up.
For that matter, we’re always shooting for two boards at our bar games, and after last month’s impressive turnout, we’re hoping to do it again for next week’s Red Lion game on the 17th. We currently have nine. Want to join us?
Finally, Josh Heffernan is willing to host two boards at his place on February 27. We currently have eight, including three-time Alpha Weasel Chris Martin, who will be in town from D.C.? Anyone else want to join us at Josh’s apartment in Logan Square?
Red Lion, White Beard
We’re going to be graced by a hobby dignitary at March’s Red Wednesday at the Red Lion, March 9 beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Jim Burgess, a longtime player, postal zine publisher, and organizer for TotalCon later this month in Massachusetts, will be in town on business and wants to play a game with the Weasels. As it turns out, the 9th is a free night for him, so he’s coming to Red Wednesday.
We last saw Jim at the WDC in 2012. We look forward to seeing him again. We just announced this game tonight, and we already have five players signed up. Why don’t you join us and help welcome Jim, one of the hobby’s good guys.
The Bugathon Begins
CODCon is April 9-10 at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn. Then we’re hosting the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X, June 24-26 at Roosevelt University’s vertical campus, 425 S. Wabash.
Both events will be here before you know it, and my annual bugathon has begun. If you haven’t heard from me yet, don’t worry; you will soon. (Of course, you can always head off my emails by reaching out to tell me your status for the cons…)
I’m pleased with the response to the first round of messages I sent out last week. Several travelers who have attended CODCon in the past are planning to return this year, and we’re expecting a good number of first-time locals, too. I’ll get the attendee lists for both cons up eventually.
Dues Still Due
Your 2016 dues are now due! Once again, we’re charging $25 for members and $10 for students. Dues will get you a combined $15 off our two tournaments–CODCon in April ($5) and the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X in June ($10)–plus eligibility for our season-ending awards and the Weasel Royale. And you’ll also help us maintain the website and keep our Meetup page.
You can PayPal your dues to email@example.com. For your convenience,. For your convenience, just use the button on this page. And please pay up soon. We depleted our treasury when we paid the first installment on the meeting space for WDC, and we have some bills to pay…
Thank you to the 13 Weasels who have paid up thus far. Check the link below for the complete list of dues-paying Weasels.
- February 10 at Peter Lokken’s home in Logan Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have 10. Can we reach two boards?
- February 17 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have nine. Can we reach two boards?
- February 27 at Josh Heffernan’s home in Logan Square, beginning at 11 a.m. Have eight. Can we reach two boards?
- March 9 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have five, one of whom is Jim Burgess, a longtime player and postal zine publisher from Rhode Island.
- April 9-10: 10th Annual CODCon Open!
- June 24-26: World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X!
Up Next on the Tournament Circuit
- TotalCon: February 18-21 in Mansfield, Mass. (http://www.totalcon.com/)
- CODCon: April 9-10 in Glen Ellyn. (http://windycityweasels.org/codcon10)
- Database. We still are looking for someone who can convert Matt’s rating system to a searchable, web-based database. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help or have questions. (Ben DiPaola has nibbled on this one…)
- Tournament Committee. Want to help us put on WDC? Send me an email, email@example.com.
That’s all for this week. See you soon.