Read on for the latest news from the Weasels.
The Fortune Cookies of War
It was a tale of two convoys. The French were riding high after the Spring 1902 turn in Game No. 291, played Saturday at John Gramila’s home in Logan Square (…yah, apparently he moved). They had just set up a long convoy to a wide open Liverpool. At the same time, Italy’s attempt to arrange a long convoy in the east was thwarted by the Turks.
It was Italy’s failure rather than France’s success that flipped the fortunes of war.
Pencil in a Weeknight House Game
We’re hoping that Peter Lokken will host a house game at his home in Logan Square on Wednesday, February 10. He’s still waiting on his work schedule. We should know later this week whether he can do it. For now, pencil in the game if you’re interested and keep your eye on Meetup or the website for an announcement.
In the meantime, Peter knows that he can host a game this Wednesday, February 3. That’s really short notice, but if you want to play, let me know asap, and maybe we can make it happen.
WDC Is Coming
The 2016 World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X is less than five months away. The big event will be June 24-26 at Roosevelt University’s vertical campus, 425 S. Wabash. Now is the time to build up your hobby capital with your loved ones. Get the event on your calendar, and start working on clearing the weekend for YOU.
We just hosted WDC in 2012, so this may seem a bit like old hat to you, but it will be a long, long time before we host another major con. Don’t miss this opportunity to play in a world championship in your backyard.
CODCon Dates Set
Our 10th annual CODCon Open Diplomacy tournament will be April 9-10 at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn. This will be a great opportunity to tune up for the world championship in June!
We could use a host or two for March. John’s game filled in 10 days; Josh Heffernan’s game at the end of this month filled in less than 24 hours. People want to play house games. Your game will fill, too, so speak up if you’d like to host a game on a Saturday or Sunday in March.
Dues Still Due
Your 2016 dues are now due! Once again, we’re charging $25 for members and $10 for students. Dues will get you a combined $15 off our two tournaments–CODCon in April ($5) and the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X in June ($10)–plus eligibility for our season-ending awards and the Weasel Royale. And you’ll also help us maintain the website and keep our Meetup page.
You can PayPal your dues to firstname.lastname@example.org. For your convenience, just use the button on this page. And please pay up soon. We depleted our treasury when we paid the first installment on the meeting space for WDC, and we have some bills to pay…
Thank you to the 13 Weasels who have paid up thus far, including Chris Kelly, Craig Reges, David Spanos and Don Glass.
- February 17 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have seven. Is there interest in a second board?
- February 27 at Josh Heffernan’s home in Logan Square, beginning at 11 a.m. Have seven; standbys needed!
- April 9-10: 10th Annual CODCon Open!
- June 24-26: World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot X!
Up Next on the Tournament Circuit
- TotalCon: February 18-21 in Mansfield, Mass. (http://www.totalcon.com/)
- CODCon: April 9-10 in Glen Ellyn. (http://windycityweasels.org/codcon10)
- Database. We still are looking for someone who can convert Matt’s rating system to a searchable, web-based database. Please email us at email@example.com if you can help or have questions. (Ben DiPaola has nibbled on this one…)
- Tournament Committee. Want to help us put on WDC? Send me an email.
That’s all for this week. See you soon.