Read on for all the latest news from the Weasels.
Better Red than Dead
Last week’s Red Wednesday at the Red Lion had a little bit of everything: Two more new faces, an old face that we don’t see nearly enough, a visually impaired observer, a Western with an all-little-person cast, three Weasel cameos, and a thrilling final year that sort of played out like a classic scene from the movie 10. Don’t believe me? Check out the game summary. We’ve also updated the Bar Room Brawl standings.
One More Needed for Black Friday Game…Sort Of
There’s one spot left for the Black Friday game at Matt Sundstrom’s home in Glenview. Dan Burgess is keeping the seat warm, but as always, he will gladly step aside if you want to play. The game will start at 1 p.m. Speak up soon if you want in.
Play Dip with the World Champ!
World champion Thomas Haver is coming to town for this weekend’s Chicago Toy and Game Fair at Navy Pier. Specifically, he’ll be playing in the Rummikub tournament there. Unlike most of us, Thomas excels at lots of games.
Anyway, he and his friend would love to play Dip with the Weasels while they’re in town. They’re free either Saturday evening or Sunday. The game could be played at the fair (Sunday only), someone’s house, or a bar–they’re up for anything. Do we have five interested players? Speak up if you’re around this weekend and interested in playing Dip with the reigning world champion.
Goodwill Tour Goes to Madison
Since our very first tournament in 2007, Grant Smith has been driving down to Chicago to support our club. It’s high time we return the favor.
On December 13, several of us are planning to drive up to Madison to play Dip with Grant. After the game, we’ll hit some bars. Then we’ll head home early Sunday. If you’re interested in joining our goodwill trip to Madison, please let me know. Matt Sundstrom, Paul Pignotti, Ben DiPaola, me and possibly Kevin O’Kelly all are interested.
2014 Brawl Championship Set
The 2014 Bar Room Brawl Championship Game will take place December 17 at the Red Lion. That’s the Wednesday after our next Red Wednesday at the Lion. The game will begin at 6 p.m. and end no later than 11. Spectators are welcome. If there’s sufficient interest, we’ll field an Undercard game.
Weasel Moot Update
I mentioned last week that we’re looking at June 13-14 and June 27-28 as the possible dates for Weasel Moot IX. I forgot to mention that August 15-16 is also in the running. Again, we’ll let you know as soon as we finalize our plans.
Up Next on the Tournament Circuit
- The 2015 NADF Masters Invitational: This biennial event will be January 16-18, 2015, on the Gulf Shores of Alabama. Any player who finished in the top seven at a Grand Prix event in either 2013 or 2014 receives an invitation. Both CODCon and Weasel Moot are qualifying events.
- TempleCon: Feb. 6-8 in Providence, R.I. (http://templecon.org/15)
- 2015 WDC: May 1-3 in Milan. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1500292310187264/)
- November 21 or 22 with the World Champion, location and time to be determined. Have two.
- November 28 at Matt Sundstrom’s home in Glenview, beginning at 1 p.m. Have six.
- December 10 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have four. Three more needed.
- December 13 in Madison, Wisconsin, start time to be determined. Have five. Two more needed.
Sign up for games here, on Meetup, or by emailing me (email@example.com).
- Remember, the second Wednesday of every month is Red Wednesday at the Red Lion. These games are scheduled through 2015 and will always start at 6:30 p.m. and go until no later than 11, so get ’em on your calendar. The next one is December 10!
Finally, a big Weasel thank you to the 29 people who paid club dues for 2014. Their support makes so much of what we do possible: The Meetup site, the website, our annual club awards, and the awards for the Royale. Thanks, Guys!
That’s all for this week.
This Post Has One Comment
Looks like we’re going to get seven for a game in honor of world champ Thomas Haver, Saturday night at the Red Lion. Watch the site for more info.