Read on for all the latest news from the Weasels.
A Bull Weasel Rises
That roar you heard at around 8 p.m. Saturday night came from Matt Sundstrom. It was equal parts joy and relief. In his sixth attempt, Matt finally won the Weasel Royale, and in so doing, he clubbed the club’s first grand slam. Matt won CODCon and Weasel Moot in 2009 (and CODCon again in 2012), the league in 2010, and now the Royale, ending a four-year quest to complete the grand slam.
The 2014 club championship game was interesting, fun, taut, fluid. Pick your adjective. It had a little bit of everything. Check out the recap and (we hope eventually) player reaction. I plan to share my thoughts this evening.
Black Friday with the Bull Weasel
Sadly, the Undertaker carted off the Undercard Friday evening when it became clear that all our bush beating wasn’t working. And wouldn’t you know it, within 10 minutes of pulling the plug, I heard from someone on Facebook who was willing to play if needed.
Oh well, in a more positive development, our new Bull Weasel has decided to host a game at his home in Glenview on the Friday after Thanksgiving. This one will start at 1 p.m. We have three signed up already. Let’s make this game happen.
Closing in on a Second Board for Red Wednesday
Our count for next week’s Red Wednesday at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square is up to 11. Can we find three more players to fill a second board? Make your plans to join us for dinner, drinks and Diplomacy.
Up Next on the Tournament Circuit
- Carnage: The 13th annual Carnage Accords Diplomacy tournament will be November 7 to 9 at the Killington Grand Resort in Vermont. For more information about the final event on the 2014 Grand Prix circuit, go to http://carnagecon.com or email me.
- The 2015 NADF Masters Invitational: This biennial event will be January 16-18, 2015, on the Gulf Shores of Alabama. Any player who finished in the top seven at a Grand Prix event in either 2013 or 2014 receives an invitation. Both CODCon and Weasel Moot are qualifying events.
- 2015 WDC: May 1-3 in Milan.
- November 12 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have 11. Three more for a second board!
- November 28 at Matt Sundstrom’s home in Glenview, beginning at 1 p.m. Have three.
- December 10 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have one. Six more needed.
- Remember, the second Wednesday of every month is Red Wednesday at the Red Lion. These games are scheduled through 2015 and will always start at 6:30 p.m. and go until no later than 11, so get ’em on your calendar.
Finally, a big Weasel thank you to the 29 people who paid club dues for 2014. Their support makes so much of what we do possible: The Meetup site, the website, our annual club awards, and the awards for the Royale. Thanks, Guys!
That’s all for this week.