We’re trying to field an Undercard game at this Saturday’s Weasel Royale for the sixth straight year, but the tradition — which has added so much to the Royale event — is in jeopardy. We currently have five players signed up, but we may have to tap one for the Royale. More on that in a moment.
Finding three more players — or even two, for that matter — at this stage is a tall order. Especially given that one of our top two standbys, Mike Morrison, has already been elevated to the Royale, and the other, Ben DiPaola, has been summoned as well.
If DiPaola plays in the Royale, we’ll only need two more players for the Undercard. If he doesn’t, then we’ll need three, as Brad Harrington will be promoted.
The Undercard is a great opportunity to play a game in a festive atmosphere with an uncanny history of landing its board-topper in the next year’s Royale. That’s happened in four of the first five Royales, and it’s one of the reasons why Royale hopefuls sign up for the game as soon as we schedule it.
Please check your calendar, and if you’re free on Saturday, help us keep this great tradition going.
One of the reasons the Undercard hasn’t filled is that we’ve had three players drop from the Royale. We’ve already promoted one player from the Undercard, and as noted above, a second is in line. For the latest changes to the Royale field, grab a scorecard and click here.
Up Next on the Tournament Circuit
- Carnage: The 13th annual Carnage Accords Diplomacy tournament will be November 7 to 9 at the Killington Grand Resort in Vermont. For more information about the final event on the 2014 Grand Prix circuit, go to http://carnagecon.com or email me.
- 2015 WDC: May 1-3 in Milan.
- November 1, the Undercard Game at the Weasel Royale, beginning at 11 a.m. at Dan Burgess’ home in Downers Grove. Have five (or four). Two (or three) more needed.
- November 12 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 until no later than 11. Have 10. Four more for a second board!
- December 10 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 until no later than 11. Have one. Six more needed.
- November 1: The Weasel Royale and Undercard Game at Dan Burgess’ home in Downers Grove.
- Remember, the second Wednesday of every month is Red Wednesday at the Red Lion. These games are scheduled through 2015 and will always start at 6:30 p.m. and go until no later than 11, so get ’em on your calendar.
Finally, a big Weasel thank you to the 29 people who paid club dues for 2014. Their support makes so much of what we do possible: The Meetup site, the website, our annual club awards, and the awards for the Royale. Thanks, Guys!
That’s all for this week.