Our seventh annual Weasel Royale club championship game will be November 1 at Dan Burgess’ home in Downers Grove. And for the sixth straight year, we’re planning to hold an Undercard game to the main event.
Unlike the Royale, the Undercard counts as a regular season game, and in four of the first five Undercards, the board-topper went on to qualify for the next year’s Royale.
But 2012 was merely a hiccup. Tony Prokes topped last year’s Undercard, one of his club-leading 4.83 on the season, and he’s back in the Royale. So, there you go. The topping tradition is alive and well. Two spots remain in this year’s Undercard. Sign up now, and maybe you’ll find yourself playing in next year’s Royale.
The pawns were in place on the eve of our first ever outdoor game at the Chess Pavilion last month, and then the event was Queened by the arrival of my daughter, Jane. I had already resigned myself to another year of wishing I could play Diplomacy at that great outdoor venue. And then I got a message from club newcomer John Konwinski pointing out the forecast for this weekend.
Up Next on the Tournament Circuit
- Carnage: The 13th annual Carnage Accords Diplomacy tournament will be November 7 to 9 at the Killington Grand Resort in Vermont. For more information about the final event on the 2014 Grand Prix circuit, go to http://carnagecon.com or email me.
- 2015 WDC: May 1-3 in Milan.
- November 1, the Undercard Game at the Weasel Royale, beginning at 11 a.m. at Dan Burgess’ home in Downers Grove. Have five. Two more needed.
- November 12 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 until no later than 11. Have Nine. Five more for a second board!
- December 10 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 until no later than 11. Have one. Six more needed.
Sign up for games here, on Meetup, or by emailing me (email@example.com).
- November 1: The Weasel Royale and Undercard Game at Dan Burgess’ home in Downers Grove.
- Remember, the second Wednesday of every month is Red Wednesday at the Red Lion. These games are scheduled through 2015 and will always start at 6:30 p.m. and go until no later than 11, so get ’em on your calendar.
Finally, a big Weasel thank you to the 29 people who paid club dues for 2014. Their support makes so much of what we do possible: The Meetup site, the website, our annual club awards, and the awards for the Royale. Thanks, Guys!
That’s all for this week.
This Post Has 2 Comments
Excited for the Royale! Hope you guys take it easy on me.
Looking forward to playing with you, Matt, but even more so, to hanging out afterward!