Welcome to a worker-friendly edition of the Weekly Weasel.
Your Feedback Needed!
Your tournament committee is starting to plan for next year’s Weasel Moot IX and beyond, and we’d like your feedback. Please take a couple of minutes to complete our short survey. You can access the survey here or through SurveyMonkey.
Season 10 to Open with Tons of New Faces
We have 14 people signed up for next week’s Season Opener at the Red Lion, including eight new Weasels. Most of these new guys are also new to the game, so we’re planning to field a little board for the beginners and a big board for the sharks. I’m hoping for one more veteran to sign up so that I can sit out and run the novice game. Also, it would be helpful if one or two others showed up to play if needed or provide instruction as necessary.
Season 10 will open on September 10. The games will begin at 6:30 p.m. and end no later than 11. Let me know if you’re available to help out.
Everybody Jump the Queen!
At some point, we’ve all felt like pawns in the game of Diplomacy. Well, later this month, you’ll get the opportunity to play Diplomacy among the pawns as we field a game at the historic Chess Pavilion at North Avenue Beach. Check out this short film about the Chess Pavilion. Then join us on Sunday, September 21–the penultimate day of summer–for one more day at the beach. We’ll start play at 11 a.m. and end no later than 4:30.
Dip begins at Conception
Tony Prokes once again will evangelize at the Conception game convention at the College of DuPage. He will host a teaching game at 9 a.m. on September 27 until no later than 1 p.m. Veterans are welcome, but this game will be an exhibition, which means it will not count in the league standings.
Then at 2 p.m., Tony will host a standard league game. That one will end no later than midnight, as the con closes up then. Conception does charge a $15 registration fee, so keep that in mind.
We’d like to schedule some house games for the Fall, including one that will be a tablet game hosted by webdiplomacy.net. (B.Y.O. Device.) If you’d like to step up and host a game for the club, please email me off the list.
- September 10 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 until no later than 11. Have 14. Need one to three more; one to play on the Big Board and two to help me run the novice game and/or fill in as needed.
- September 21 at the Chess Pavilion at North Avenue Beach, beginning at 11 a.m. until no later than 4:30. Have three. Four more needed.
- September 27 at Conception at the College of DuPage, novice game from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., standard club game from 2 p.m. until no later than midnight. Have 1 for each.
- November 1, the Undercard Game at the Weasel Royale, beginning at 11 a.m. at Dan Burgess’ home in Downers Grove. Have five.
- September 10: The Season 10 Opener at the Red Lion.
- November 1: The Weasel Royale and Undercard Game at Dan Burgess’ home in Downers Grove.
Finally, a big Weasel thank you to the 29 people who paid club dues for 2014. Their support makes so much of what we do possible: The Meetup site, the website, our annual club awards, the Royale, and the Bar Room Brawl. Thanks, Guys!
That’s all for this week. Happy Labor Day to all you working Weasels!