Four Is the New Three
Last week’s game at the Red Lion evoked memories of the first Weasel Pyle in August 2006 and a game at WACCon in 2012. Your correspondent reflects on past lessons learned, shares some handy math tricks, and critiques his game, all in the game summary. Check it out.
Still Waiting on Weasel Moot…
Hey, we’re Diplomacy players. Surely you didn’t believe us when we promised a big Weasel Moot announcement this week. Kidding aside, we’re questioning something in the hotel contract and hope to resolve the matter this week. We’ll definitely (…) have an announcement in next week’s issue, if not sooner. The dates we’re looking at are July 26-27, and the hotel we’re negotiating with is downtown, just off the Magnificent Mile. It’s a great location. Pencil in those dates on your calendar, and watch your email boxes for a big Weasel Moot announcement, which really is coming soon. Would we lie to you?
Three More Needed for March Madness Tip-Off
Our seventh annual March Madness campaign is scheduled to tip off Sunday at John Gramila’s home in Humboldt Park, but we need three more players to fill the board. Who’s in? The March 22 game at Peter Lokken’s home in Logan Square is now full. We’re making slow but steady progress on the other three. There are still some good opportunities to tune up for CODCon, starting this Sunday.
CODCon is Coming…
The countdown clock on our website tells us that our eighth annual CODCon Open Diplomacy tournament will be here in 39 days. Have you made your plans to join us? The three-round tournament will be April 5-6, 2014, at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn. It’s not necessary to play in all three rounds–although we hope you will–and it only takes one round to qualify for awards, of which there will be plenty: plaques for first through third place and best play of each country, prizes for fourth through seventh, and maybe some special awards.
The Open is the Chicago area’s longest-running Diplomacy tournament. It’s a fun event with great people watching. I hope you’ll join us this year.
- March 2 at John Gramila’s home in Humboldt Park, starting at 11 a.m. Have 4 for this Sunday game. Need three more.
- March 8 at the Concentric game convention in Itasca, starting at 11 a.m. Have 6.
- March 15 at Tony Prokes’ home in Des Plaines, starting at 11 a.m. Beware! Have 3.
- March 22 at Peter Lokken’s home in Logan Square, starting at 11 a.m. Have 7. Full. Standbys needed. Second board possible if there’s sufficient interest.
- March 29 at Matt Sundstrom’s home in Glenview, starting at 11 a.m. Have 3.
- March 2: Our seventh annual March Madness campaign tips off in Humboldt Park.
- March 15: The Ides of March, date of history’s most famous backstab. And we’re playing in Des Plaines that day!
- April 5-6: The eighth annual CODCon Open Diplomacy tournament at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn.
- July 26-27: The tentative dates for Weasel Moot VIII.
Eventually we’ll get around to mailing our annual e-appeal for 2014 dues. In the meantime, feel free to use the PayPal link we set up for 2013 to pay your 2014 dues. We’re still charging $25, $10 if you’re a student. Fourteen people have paid up already. Thanks! Remember, your dues pay for our website, the Meetup site, our annual club awards, and the awards for both the Royale and the Brawl, among other things.
That’s all for this week.