Rest in Peace, with Support from All of Us
The big news, of course, is that Allan B. Calhamer, the father of Diplomacy, passed away last Monday. He was 81. Many of you got the chance to see him last August at the World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot VI. I’ll never forget the ovation we gave him.
Anyway, War Weasel Nate Cockerill and I both posted tributes to him. Here is Nate’s; mine is here. I’ve also provided links to his obituaries in the Sun-Times and the Tribune. The Tribune reporter contacted the Sneak for a reaction to the news. Chris Davis and I are both quoted in the article. Both articles also draw from Ted McClelland’s 2009 profile of Mr. Calhamer in Chicago Magazine.
Old-Fashioned Diplomacy Wake
Join us Wednesday at the Red Lion as we pay tribute to Mr. Calhamer by playing his game. The game is full, but we can always use standbys.
Nothing Madder than an Empty Board
March Madness is here. Now all we need is some players. We have openings for all the March Madness games except Wednesday’s. We especially need players for Sunday’s game at Dan Burgess’ home in Downers Grove and next Saturday’s game at Tony Prokes’ home in Des Plaines. Check out the schedule and sign up.
Weasel Moot VII
Preregistration is now open for Weasel Moot VII. You can preregister through PayPal via a link on the website. The tournament will be June 22-23 at the Holiday Inn in the western suburb of Willowbrook.
Our seventh annual CODCon Open Diplomacy tournament tips off at the College of Dupage in Glen Ellyn in a month and a half. Please make your plans to join us. The dates are April 20-21, and the format will be the same as in past years, with the exception that there will be a hard ending of midnight for play on Saturday. We’ll be making a change to the published start time for the Saturday evening round. Stay tuned for that.
Dues Are Due
Your 2013 membership dues are now due. Once again, we’re charging $25 for the calendar year, $10 for students. Paid-up members receive a discount at CODCon and Weasel Moot, get first crack at all our game openings, and are eligible for our annual Weasels club awards and to compete in the Weasel Royale club championship game. Your dues help pay for our annual club awards, the Meetup site, our website, and other club activities. Help us out by paying your dues today.
- March 6 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 until no later than 11. Game is full, but we can always use standbys, and at least one player will give up his seat for you.
- March 10 at Dan Burgess’ home in Downers Grove, beginning at 11 a.m. Have two.
- March 16 at Tony Prokes’ home in Des Plaines, beginning at 11 a.m. Have one.
- March 19 at the Village Inn in Skokie, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have three.
- March 23 at Jim O’Kelley’s home in Little Italy, beginning at 11 a.m. Have two.
- March 27 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 until no later than 11. Have six.
We hope you’ll sign up for one or more games. Take advantage of these opportunities to tune up for CODCon.
- April 20-21: The seventh annual CODCon Open.
- June 22-23: The seventh annual Weasel Moot. Hroom, hroom.
That’s all for this week. See you next week.