This year’s Weasel Moot will be held June 22-23 at the Holiday Inn in Willowbrook. The website with more info will be up later this week. Preregistration will open then as well. In the meantime, here are a few notes:
- The Sneak remains committed to the idea of holding a city tournament and a suburban event each year. We’re doubling up in the suburbs this year out of necessity, as we were unable to find a suitable replacement for our Days Inn venue in Lincoln Park on short notice. We’ll be working hard this year to rectify that, and we expect to be back in the city for one of our two cons in 2014.
- We will hold two rounds on Saturday and one on Sunday. Note that this is a departure from previous years, when we held one round on Friday and two on Saturday. We plan to hold a social event with a trivia contest on Friday night this year. The tournament will end no later than 5 p.m. on Sunday, June 23. Plan accordingly.
- For those of you who recall the WM4 event in Burr Ridge, Willowbrook is a couple of miles west of there but much closer to civilization.
Dip and Drinks at Guthrie’s Tavern
We need one more player for our Dip and Drinks event at Guthrie’s Tavern this Wednesday. The game will start at 6:30 p.m. and end no later than 11. Come out and join us at the bar that started our Dip and Drink tradition.
In two months and two days, we’ll be tipping off the first round at our seventh annual CODCon Open Diplomacy tournament at the College of Dupage in Glen Ellyn. We’ve already heard from three travelers who are considering joining us. Seems the word is getting out about our fun little tournament in the Western suburbs.
The dates are April 20-21, and the format will be the same as in past years, with the exception that there will be a hard ending of midnight for play on Saturday. We’ll be making a change to the published start time for the Saturday evening round. Stay tuned for that.
Beware! March Madness is Coming
This March, we’re renewing our six-year-old fight to restore the month to its original pastime–backstabbing! We’ve scheduled bar games in Chicago and Skokie, and house games in Chicago, Des Plaines and Downers Grove. Check out the schedule, consult your calendar, and sign up. And consider bringing a friend along. Over the years, March Madness has been one of our best recruiting activities.
Dues Are Due
Your 2013 membership dues are now due. Once again, we’re charging $25 for the calendar year, $10 for students. We’ve already received dues payments from a few of our favorite travelers. Now it’s your turn. Paid-up members receive a discount at CODCon and Weasel Moot, get first crack at all our game openings, and are eligible for our annual Weasels club awards and to compete in the Weasel Royale club championship game. Your dues help pay for our annual club awards, the Meetup site, our website, and other club activities. Help us out by paying your dues today.
- Feb. 20 at Guthrie’s Tavern in Wrigleyville, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have six.
- March 6 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 until no later than 11. Have three.
- March 10 at Dan Burgess’ home in Downers Grove, beginning at 11 a.m. Have one.
- March 16 at Tony Prokes’ home in Des Plaines, beginning at 11 a.m. Have one.
- March 19 at the Village Inn in Skokie, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have three.
- March 23 at Jim O’Kelley’s home in Little Italy, beginning at 11 a.m. Have two.
- March 27 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 until no later than 11. Have six.
We hope you’ll sign up for one or more games. Season Eight started sluggishly in the wake of last August’s World Diplomacy Championship at Weasel Moot VI. We seemed to find our stride in December and January, but we had to pull the plug on our last two February house games. March Madness is coming, followed by CODCon. Take advantage of these opportunities to tune up.
- April 20-21: The seventh annual CODCon Open.
- June 22-23: The seventh annual Weasel Moot. Hroom, hroom.