There’s a New Board-Topper in Town
We welcomed two more Meetup recruits at last week’s game at the Red Lion, and one of them walked away with a large board top. Josh Heffernan learned to play Diplomacy while living in China among a group of Canadian ex-pats. They taught him well.
In his first game with the Weasels, Heffernan guided England to an impressive 13-center board top. Fellow newcomer Ted Phillips, who audited the club at December’s Red Lion game and liked what he saw enough to sign up for this one, didn’t fare as well. Nevertheless, he and Heffernan both have signed up for a second game, so the club continues to grow.
Check out the results from Game No. 203, plus our exciting coverage of the side Ra game.
Standbys Welcome for Saturday’s Game in Rogers Park
Saturday’s game at Ted McClelland’s home in Rogers Park is full, but we can always use standbys. Rumor has it that Ted is trying to recruit his pal Richard Marx to play. Even without Marx, the lineup includes two new Weasels and two others, including Heffernan, returning for their second games.
Beware! March Madness is Coming
March once was known for the backstab, not basketball. This March, we’re renewing our six-year-old fight to restore the month to its original pastime. We’ve scheduled bar games in Chicago and Skokie, and house games in Chicago, Des Plaines and Downers Grove. Check out the schedule, consult your calendar, and sign up. And consider bringing a friend along. Over the years, March Madness has been one of our best recruiting activities.
Ex-pat Aash Anand will be back in town on business next week, and he’d love to play some Dip with us. To welcome him back, we’ve scheduled a rare day bar game for Feb. 9 at the Red Lion. Join War Weasel Nate Cockerill and Aash for some Dip and Day Drinking from Noon till 8 p.m.
Dues Are Due
Your 2013 membership dues are now due. Once again, we’re charging $25 for the calendar year, $10 for students. Paid-up members receive a discount at CODCon and Weasel Moot, get first crack at all our game openings, and are eligible for our annual Weasels club awards and to compete in the Weasel Royale club championship game. Your dues help pay for our awards, the Meetup site, our website, and other club activities. Help us out by paying your dues today.
Start Your Engines!
The 2013 Grand Prix opens this weekend on both coasts. The race will begin at TempleCon in Providence, R.I., and at the penultimate WACCon in Seattle. I don’t believe any Weasels are planning to attend. Nevertheless, we’ll report the results next week, if they’re available.
After these two events, the Grand Prix will rest in March before returning in April with the Whipping in Berkeley, Calif., the weekend of April 6, and our own CODCon Open in Glen Ellyn, the weekend of April 20.
- Feb. 2 at Ted McClelland’s home in the Rogers Park neighborhood of Chicago, beginning at 11 a.m. Full. Standbys welcome.
- Feb. 9 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at Noon until no later than 8 p.m. Have two.
- Feb. 16 at Dan Burgess’ home in Downers Grove, beginning at 11 a.m. Have two.
- Feb. 20 at Guthrie’s Tavern in Wrigleyville, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have two.
- March 6 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 until no later than 11. Have one.
- March 10 at Dan Burgess’ home in Downers Grove, beginning at 11 a.m. Have one.
- March 16 at Tony Prokes’ home in Des Plaines, beginning at 11 a.m. Have one.
- March 19 at the Village Inn in Skokie, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have two.
- March 23 at Jim O’Kelley’s home in Little Italy, beginning at 11 a.m. Have one.
- March 27 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 until no later than 11. Have three.
Sign up for games at the website, on Meetup, or by emailing your faithful War Weasel (which is now Nate Cockerill, email@example.com).
- Feb. 9: Aash’s Homecoming at the Red Lion.
- April 20-21: The seventh annual CODCon Open.
That’s all for this week. See you next week.
PS The Sneak is still lining up our options for Weasel Moot VII. Please stay tuned.