If you enjoyed a day off today for Presidents' Day, be sure to thank our club's presidents, or Prime Weasels: me, Chris Davis, Dan Burgess and now Nate Cockerill. And now, here's the latest news from the Weasels.
Let's Play Two
We're sitting on nine players for Wednesday's game at the Red Lion
. One of them is visiting dignitary Roland Cooke, the British ex-pat now living in Houston. This will be his second game with the Weasels. What's your excuse? Come on out and help us get to two boards. The games will start at 6:30 and finish no later than 11. We can make two boards work with 12 players, but 13 would be better. And 14 of course, would be best of all. Let's play two!
Waiting on Weasel Moot...
The Sneak-imposed decision deadline of Feb. 21 is looming. Expect an announcement about Weasel Moot in next week's issue, if not sooner. The tentative dates are July 26-27, and the event most likely will be in Chicago or Evanston. Pencil in those dates on your calendar, and watch your email boxes for next week's Weekly Weasel and a big Weasel Moot announcement.
March Madness Malaise?
Our five March Madness games have been slow to fill. Perhaps we should have scheduled five bar games instead?
We've got some great opportunities scheduled to play Dip and tune up for April's CODCon Open. Check out the schedule
and sign up for one or two. Better still, drag a friend along. You know, over the years, we've had 41 players break in with the club during March Madness.
Let's restore the month to its original pastime and make some of these games happen. Especially the Ides of March game in Des Plaines.
The fun starts Sunday, March 2, at John Gramila's home in Humboldt Park. Consult your calendars, and sign up.
CODCon is Coming...
The countdown clock on our website tells us that there are only 46 days till the eighth annual CODCon Open Diplomacy tournament. Have you made your plans to join us? The three-round tournament will be April 5-6, 2014, at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn. It's not necessary to play in all three rounds--although we hope you will--and it only takes one round to qualify for awards, of which there will be plenty: plaques for first through third place and best play of each country, prizes for fourth through seventh, and maybe some special awards.
The Open is the Chicago area's longest-running Diplomacy tournament. It's a fun event with great people watching. I hope you'll join us this year.
You can find more information about our tournament, including the schedule, here
. Learn more about the CODCon convention here
. When you decide to come, be sure to respond on Meetup here
- Feb. 19 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, starting at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have nine. Can we find three to five more to make a second board happen?
- March 2 at John Gramila's home in Humboldt Park, starting at 11 a.m. Have 1 for this Sunday game. Where are our Chicago players?
- March 8 at the Concentric game convention in Itasca, starting at 11 a.m. Have 3. New dues-paying member Chris Cantine is hoping to make his Weasels debut at this one. Let's not disappoint him...off the board, anyway.
- March 15 at Tony Prokes' home in Des Plaines, starting at 11 a.m. Beware! Have 2. Come on, it's the Ides of March! We have to make this game happen.
- March 22 at Peter Lokken's home in Logan Square, starting at 11 a.m. Have 3. Peter, sign up for John's game. John, same thing for Peter's.
- March 29 at Matt Sundstrom's home in Glenview, starting at 11 a.m. Have 2. Is Jack Sundstrom the only player man enough to face his father?
Sign up for games here
, on Meetup
- March 2: Our seventh annual March Madness campaign tips off in Humboldt Park.
- March 15: The Ides of March, date of history's most famous backstab. And we're playing in Des Plaines that day!
- April 5-6: The eighth annual CODCon Open Diplomacy tournament at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn.
- July 26-27: The tentative dates for Weasel Moot VIII.
Eventually we'll get around to mailing our annual e-appeal for 2014 dues. In the meantime, feel free to use the PayPal link we set up for 2013 to pay your 2014 dues. We're still charging $25, $10 if you're a student. Fourteen people have paid up already. Thanks! Remember, your dues pay for our website, the Meetup site, our annual club awards, and the awards for both the Royale and the Brawl, among other things.
That's all for this week.