Game #80 was successfully completed on Saturday, November 28 at Matt Sundstrom’s house in Glenview. Thanks to Mike Morrison for being available to ensure we had 7 players. It’s probably one of the nicest November 28ths I can remember. The weather at the end of November is usually gray and cold. This year it was nice enough to negotiate outside.
It ended up being fairly long as we went to 1911 to get to a 4-way FGIR draw.
The final center counts were:
Austria (Mike Morrison): 0; 2 points.
England (Thom Comstock): 0; 6 points.
France (Matt Sundstrom): 13; 171 points.
Germany (Samuel Bassett): 1; 25 points.
Italy (Amanda Baumgartner): 11; 125 points.
Russia (Kevin O’Kelly): 9; 105 points.
Turkey (May-Ling Chong): 0; 5 points.
- We started very close to on time. Everyone was there by 11.
- Probably the best Russian start in WCW history as Kevin got to 7 after 1901. No bounce in Sweden, Turkey didn’t open to Armenia and Galicia walked into Vienna in the fall. Amazing given our history.
- Tough day for Austria as the Archduke was down to 2 after 1901. All his neighbors except Germany stabbed him at once. At least he got out early.
- May Ling brought cookies! Didn't seem to help her game, but they were good.
- The game may have been in a drawn position after 1908 as I don’t think any supply centers changed between alliances for three straight years. House rules state that a GM may declare a draw in that situation.
- The game broke up after that as an alliance split. Several draws were voted down until we got past 1911. Thanks to Thom Comstock for staying and administering the draw votes. We all started wondering if we were voting properly after several draws got voted down. But there weren’t four pieces of the same color in the draw box until the end.
I really enjoyed hosting. Thanks to all the players for making it an enjoyable game.