World Champion Thomas Haver was in town a couple of weekends ago for a Rummikub tournament at the Chicago Toy and Game Fair. After that event on November 22, we hosted a bar game for him at the Red Lion. He and our Bull Weasel tied for second. Check out who beat them out for the board top.
Dip in Madison
As reported in the last issue, we're trying to organize a Diplomacy game in Madison for December 13. The host would be longtime friend of the Weasels Grant Smith, and fellow Cheeseheads John Ritz and Paul Pignotti both want to play.
I'll be honest -- I was excited about this trip, but for me, the most compelling reason to head up there was the opportunity to see my nephew, who was a senior at the University of Wisconsin. Now that he's gone, I probably won't go unless I can help out my sister and brother-in-law by picking up some of his stuff while I'm there.
We need to let Grant know soon whether this game is a go. Who's interested?
2014 Brawl Championship Set
The 2014 Bar Room Brawl Championship Game will take place December 17 at the Red Lion. That's the Wednesday after our next Red Wednesday at the Lion. The game will begin at 6 p.m. and end no later than 11. Spectators are welcome. If there's sufficient interest, we'll field an Undercard game.
Weasel Moot Update
I've scouted two possible locations for Weasel Moot IX and have two more to check out. Other members of the tournament committee may also do some legwork. We hope to make a decision by the end of the month, and we're looking at June 13-14, June 27-28 and August 15-16 as possible dates.
Up Next on the Tournament Circuit
- The 2015 NADF Masters Invitational: This biennial event will be January 16-18, 2015, on the Gulf Shores of Alabama. Any player who finished in the top seven at a Grand Prix event in either 2013 or 2014 receives an invitation. Both CODCon and Weasel Moot are qualifying events.
- TempleCon: Feb. 6-8 in Providence, R.I. (http://templecon.org/15)
- 2015 WDC: May 1-3 in Milan. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1500292310187264/)
- December 10 at the Red Lion in Lincoln Square, beginning at 6:30 p.m. until no later than 11. Have seven. Need seven more for a second board!
- December 13 in Madison, Wisconsin, start time to be determined. Have at least three, possibly six.
- December 17, Undercard at the Bar Room Brawl. Is there sufficient interest for a game to run in conjunction with the Brawl Championship at the Red Lion?
- Remember, the second Wednesday of every month is Red Wednesday at the Red Lion. These games are scheduled through 2015 and will always start at 6:30 p.m. and go until no later than 11, so get 'em on your calendar. The next one is December 10!
- December 17, the Bar Room Brawl Championship Game at the Red Lion. If there's sufficient interest, we'll field an Undercard game.
Finally, a big Weasel thank you to the 29 people who paid club dues for 2014. Their support makes so much of what we do possible: The Meetup site, the website, our annual club awards, and the award for the Royale. Thanks, Guys!
That's all for this week.